Well I didn't dance today, ... I ran. In fact I ran 9 1/2 miles; most of the time I followed but what can I say? The awesome ladies I ran with today are more experienced runners and I hadn't ran anything over five miles until today. So today was a learning experience for me.
- I learned that my body can endure a longer run. (We'll see if this holds true over the next few weeks. Remember I'm running a half marathon on February 27th.)
- I learned that by wearing a good pair of running shoes versus a cute pair, saves the feet from blisters. Not to mention that wearing running shoes a size bigger than your normal shoe size really does help! (Did you know that your feet expand when running?!)
- I learned that I really need to get at least 2 decent runs (4-6 mi.) in during the week to help my body prepare for the longer runs on Saturdays. (I've been running 3-4 mi. on the treadmill at the gym, and it's just not the same.)
- I learned that running outdoors is far more enjoyable than running on that treadmill. We saw deer, horses, lots of pretty birds, and beautiful natural scenery! You just don't see that on a treadmill! Of course, you don't have the skunk aroma, nearby cattle ranches, and homecooked meals floating in the air on a treadmill either!
- I learned that after a long run like today, I am StArViNg!!! I've only been home for approximately two hours and I've already eaten a bowl of oatmeal, an apple, and an avocado! Now I'm waiting for the family to get home so we can have some lunch. Sure wish they'd hurry!
- I learned that despite the rain and temps around 50, my body still produces a tremendous amount of sweat! And do you know what the wind and rain did to the sweat on my face? Picture first, what your foot looks like when it's damp and you step into sand. When you lift your foot it's all crusty with a salt-like film, right? Now picture my face with that salt-like film all over it! Yes, it's true ... my face was nasty! I guess the rain didn't allow the sweat to evaporate from my skin, instead it dried there! (Here's a fun explanation about sweat, just in case you need some more random reading!)
Have you signed up for a run yet? There are bound to be some fun runs in your area! You should try it! Fair Warning: It's addicting! Go find the superhero in you!
Pic found on Creative Commons.
By the way, if you're tired of reading about my running journeys. My apologies! I will try to post something soon about some projects in the works. Happy Day!